Bathing your baby: What you need to know
From baby baths to water temperature, here's what you need to know about bathing your newborn
Even though you could feasibly bath your baby in the big bath (or even the sink!) many parents choose to invest in a baby bath. And, if you don’t have the budget or storage space for a baby bath, a support that you can use in the big bath is a good option too.
What to look for
Baby baths can range in price from under 310 to over 350 depending on their features.
If your budget is tight, a basic bath is fine, but it can be harder to fill and empty it. Look for a model that has shaped or curved edges to support your baby, meaning you’ll be able to have at least one hand free for washing.
A ‘plughole’ is useful to drain the water away and some higher end baths even change colour to show if the bath water is too hot.
This isn’t a necessity though; as you can buy bath thermometers quite cheaply to help you gauge how hot your baby’s bath water is.
Deluxe models might even have a built-in weighing scale or multi-task as part of a changing unit, and some can even fold flat for easier storage.
A cheaper option is to buy a support that sits in the bath. They tend to be more compact than a baby bath, so easier to store if space is an issue. They can range in price from a few pounds for a simple model made out of foam, to over 330 for one with a curving ergonomic design.
Need to know
A baby bath is not an absolutely essential purchase. Baby baths are only used for the first few months, so think about how often you’d actually use it – and how much you really need to spend and where you’ll store it.
- Choose between a baby bath and a bath support
- Invest in a bath thermometer to make sure your baby’s bath water isn’t too hot
- Baby baths can range in price so consider what features you really need
Latest products on the market:
Mothercare Foam Bath Support RRP £7.99
- The foam bath support is light and easy to use at bath time
- The non-slip support can be used in a baby or adult bath
- It can be used from birth and is suitable until about 6 months
- The support is moulded to fit a baby’s shape
We love this cheap and simple option. It’s a great way to keep baby safe at bath time, and a good buy if you haven’t got space to store a separate bath.
Shnuggle Shnuggle Bath RRP £19.99
The Shnuggle bath has been created for a safe and secure place to bath your baby
- Suitable from newborn, this bath has a ‘bum bump’ to help support your baby in a more upright position
- Has a foam backrest for baby’s increased comfort when bathing
- Compact size so easy to store
We love the secure way baby can sit in this bath to enjoy bath time.
Aqua Scale Baby Bath & Scales RRP £59.99
- A comfortable secure bath for your baby that can also weigh them
- Can also measure the temperature of the bath water
- Ergonomically designed to support with anti-slip panels
- Can weigh babies from birth to around two years old
Although an expensive choice for a baby bath, we love that it has so many features and is a great way to keep an eye on baby’s weight during the early days.